Sophie is an Environmental Journalist and Media Consultant based in Nairobi Kenya. She exclusively covers climate change, energy, agriculture and environment within sub-saharan Africa. She holds a degree in Communication.
The BBC, Mongabay, the Humanitarian (Formerly IRIN News), Deutsch Welle (DW), Mail&Guardian, AAAS science, Scidev.Net, Thomson Reuters Foundation, Radio France International (RFI), News Deeply, the Africa Report, Shout Africa, the Nation Media Group, and the Star Newspaper among other major media groups have published her work.
Sophie is a 2018 Future Climate For Africa Reporting fellow, 2018 German-Southern Africa Journalist Program fellow, 2018 Forschungszentrum Jülich Pan-African Soil Challenge (PASCAL) Journalist Fellow. 2015 French Media for Cooperation (CFIMedia21), Climate Change fellow. Sophie is a 2016 Democratic Republic of Congo/Rwanda International Women Media Foundation (IWMF), Cross-Border reporting fellow and a 2016 Cohort 4 mentor at the YALI Regional Leadership Centre, East Africa.
Sophie has worked extensively as a media consultant specialised in Climate Change communication and media relations at Power Shift Africa and at the 22nd and 25th UNFCCC Climate Summit (COP22 and 25), 2019 UNSG Climate Change Summit, IPCCC Oceans and Cryosphere Report. She has further facilitated and coordinate press relations for the African Group of Negotiators and the Africa Renewable Energy Initiative (AREI).
Her work included:
- Developed and maintained a comprehensive media contact database of African journalists and global Climate journalists.
- Organised media briefings on the 2019 UNSG climate Change Summit, IPCCC Oceans and Cryosphere Report and the 25th UNFCCC climate Summit (COP25).
- Drafted press releases, opinion articles, experts speaking points, and conducted media prep sessions with spokespersons.
- Organised and facilitated the African Group of Negotiators (AGN) press conferences during COP22) in Marrakesh, Morocco, and Cop25 in Madrid, Spain.
- Linked journalists with African climate and energy experts for interviews.
- Produced a weekly Power Shift Africa Newsletter
- Identification of renewable energy/AREI-related stories/narratives/antidotes during COP22.
- Identification of possible spokespeople appropriate for coverage by the media
- Media tracking
reach her through: firstname.lastname@example.org or twitter @Smbuguah